With so many online casinos available online it can often be difficult, especially for newer players, to tell which casinos are legitimate, safe and secure and which are fraudulent sites.
The best way to ensure that you play at a casino that offers a safe playing environment with fair payout ratios and secure banking is to choose a casino that is regulated by one of the industry’s better known regulatory bodies.
These regulatory bodies are overseen by the government of the territory that they represent and have the legal authority to issue casino operating licences within their own territories and beyond.
When looking for a new casino it is crucial that you choose one that is fully regulated and licenced as this will ensure that you are protected against fraud, identity theft and more.
You can read more about these licencing bodies as well as some of the charities and website’s committed to helping give independent advice to players in our guide to casino licences.
Some of the better known and most trusted casino licencing bodies include:
- The United Kingdom Gambling Commission (UKGC)
- The Malta Gaming Authority (MGA)
- Spelinspektionen (Swedish Gambling Authority)
- The Curacao Gaming Authority
- The Kahnawake Gaming Commission
Why Is It so Important to Choose a Licenced Casino?
Choosing a fully licenced online casino is absolutely crucial as this will help to ensure that you enjoy the highest possible standards of security, safety and transparency. With so many sham websites out there, joining a reputable casino that puts players first means you can play safe in the knowledge that you’re protected and safe while playing online.
Regulated and licensed casinos have to meet a number of strict criteria in order to meet their licence obligations. Player safety and protection are chief amongst these, as is security, the strength and variety of banking options and payout ratio thresholds. Some of the criteria for licenced casinos include:
- Providing regular data on game performance to ensure it meets payout criteria
- Giving players a range of safe, secure banking options to choose from
- Guaranteeing fast, reliable deposits and withdrawals of funds
- Being able to show a strong financial stability and separate casino and player funds in tier 1 banks
- Digital encryption procedures to protect transactions and player data
- Anti-laundering, theft and corruption measures to protect players
- Strict protections for vulnerable players and minors
How Do I Know If My Casino Is Fully Licenced?
To find out whether your casino is fully licensed visit your casino’s homepage footer or the About or Legal page which should clearly display the casino’s licencing information. Gaming authorities like the MGA and others also provide casinos with a badge or seal of approval which should be prominently displayed, mostly in the footer.